White-tailed Squirrel

There are a lot of squirrels living in the trees behind my house, and there is nothing unusual about that. However, within the last few months, I noticed a white-tailed squirrel in the trees and on the ground, and that is unusual. I had never seen a white-tailed squirrel here, or anywhere. This evening, just before dusk, I had my camera out with the speedlight (flash) attached, when I spotted the white-tailed squirrel, and so I grabbed the camera, adjusted its the settings, and captured an image of the squirrel across the yard (above image).

Then, as I was watching the squirrel, it climbed a tree and entered a hole in the tree that I had never noticed before. The tree is at least 75 feet away. In the above image, I photographed the squirrel’s white tail as it entered the hole in the tree, where it apparently lives.

After entering the hole in the tree, the squirrel turned and stared at me while I continued to photograph it.

When no longer interested in me, the squirrel turned and disappeared into the tree, although I was able to get a photo (below) of its white tail in the tree before it totally disappeared. The light from my speedlight made it appear as though the squirrel had its lights on in its nest for the evening, but actually the speedlight lit up the bare wood in the back of the hole.

I am excited to have been able to photograph this unusual squirrel, and also excited to see that its nest is directly facing my house. I will be watching it closely this summer, because if the squirrel is a female, it may raise its young in that nest, and I will be able to photograph them.

In case you are new to my blog, in December, I spent several days in Carrabelle, Florida, where I saw and photographed totally white squirrels, which are very rare except for a few locations around the country. I posted an article about Carrabelle, which contains photos of the white squirrels. The link to it is:  http://stevetabone.wordpress.com/2011/12/18/carrabelle-in-the-panhandle-of-florida/

About Stephen L Tabone

Executive Consultant and Nature Photographer
This entry was posted in Nature, Wildlife and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to White-tailed Squirrel

1. Great pictures and interesting. I have seen squirrels with while legs, ear, sometime a white streak on their fur but never a white tailed one. Thank you for sharing. :)

2. Thank you for “capturing” this squirrel for us armchair naturalists! Love the photo of the squirrel checking you out … the texture of the trunk, the composition of the photo and its overall greyness are simply wonderful!

3. clover58 says:

Having a white tail might make is strange! I don’t think I ever heard of white squirrels unless they were albino. Locally, we have grays, reds, and occasionally black.

4. Mac says:

Nothing escapes a professional photographer who possesses an uncanny eye for uniqueness

5. I live in a small town in Central Illinois. We have just noticed a white-tailed squirrel in our neighborhood. At first, the only thing I saw was this furry white thing bouncing around and then I realized the furry white thing was attached to a grey squirrel. He does stand out in a crowd. I googled white-tailed squirrels and found your blog. These cute little guys must be spreading out across the U.S. I would love to know more about them – thanks for your pictures and for sharing your story with us.

KJ

• Anonymous says:

we also live in central ill. have a white-tail eating from our birdfeeder as i type

• Nona Christman says:

We saw a white tailed squirrel on our farm near Stoutsville Ohio. We are trying to get a picture of it ,when we do we will post the picture.

6. DH says:

We just saw two white-tailed squirrels for the first time in our yard today (Michigan). They are beautiful.

7. Adoptagrey says:

I just saw a white-tailed squirrel in the tree outside my kitchen window on Bay Village, Ohio. He’s the only squirrel allowed to eat from my birdfeeder!

8. Anonymous says:

I live in Central Indiana and just noticed a white tail squirrel this summer.

9. Anonymous says:

just noticed a white tailed squirrel in pendleton, indiana

10. Anonymous says:

Two in our yard in Orange Township, Noble County, Indiana

11. Anonymous says:

I saw a white-tailed squirrel today in Omaha, Nebraska

12. Anonymous says:

I live in a small town in morenci mi and I saw a white tailed squirrel in my back yard at first I thought it had a whole corn cob in its mouth then I realized it was its tail. I never seen one before

13. Nancy Kropp says:

I live in the North East part of Indianapolis and saw one in my backyard this morning. I was amazed at how beautiful they are. He was eating bird seed that had fallen from the feeder. I will be watching tomorrow for him to return. I have large trees so hopefully there is a nest of them.

14. Anonymous says:

We have four white tailed squirrels in our neighbors tree in Marshalltown, IA. We had never seen them before, usually we don’t even have grey squirrels. Wish I could find more info on them.

15. Rick Z. says:

Ditto…we saw our first white-tail squirrel several times yesterday…my wife thinks it was a red-squirrel, and it had an all-white tail ! On the Maumee River near Grand Rapids Ohio.
    Rick Z. July 28, 2013

16. Heather says:

I’m outside lansing MI and have 2 small white tails in my backyard, maybe more, but I only saw two chasing each other around. I’ve never seen anything like it so came straight to google and found this blog. Great pics!!

17. richard says:

We are camping in Wooster, Ohio and we spotted three baby white tailed squirrels playing on the picnic table..Never saw one before, much less three!

18. Teresa says:

In newtown mo I seen a white tailed squirrel in my neighbors tree. Got a picture of it…so cool!!!

19. I need to thank you for this wonderful read!! I
    definitely loved every little bit of it. I havbe you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post

20. k weeks says:

We have a white tail squirrel here in Elbridge, TN. First we’ve ever seen!

21. Anonymous says:

My sister has a white tailed squirrel jn her backyard in Kansas City, Missouri

22. Cathy Yane says:

We have 2 grey squirrels with white tails in our yard in Chardon Ohio. This is the first time we have ever seen them. They are fun to watch and so unusual. Is it an actual species or a mutation and does anyone know where they originated from?

23. Anonymous says:

I live in central Illinois. I have white tailed squirrels on my property. I had been seeing one for a long time, but this morning I saw three white tailed one………it is amazing.

24. Elberta Clinton says:

We have a baby whitetail squirrel in our yard in West Chester, PA. Have pictures.

25. Grandma says:

Just saw 2 white tailed squirrels in my backyard this morning in Lebanon, IN. Never saw one before. They are quite beautiful! Didn’t know they existed until now. Amazing! I hope they stick around for my kids to see.

26. Felicia says:

I live in Columbus, Indiana (1 hour south of Indianapolis) and I saw a white tailed squirrel in my front yard. So exciting. I feel lucky:) It is neat to see all of the areas these are spotted in.

27. Anonymous says:

I have a family of 5 babies (now down to 3 I think) with one white tail in our front yard. We live in Jackson County Michigan. Squirrel watching and a cup of coffee is an awesome way to start your day!

28. Beverly says:

We have 3 baby white tailed squirrels living in a tree in our back yard. Never seen them before.We live in Mishawaka, Indiana.

29. LJ says:

Saw my first white tail squirrel a couple of days ago in St. Benedict Kansas. Must be a sign of something if they are popping up all over the country.

30. Sandy says:

We have been watching a white tail squirrel in our yard, in Logansport Indiana… It was so neat when spotted…….Had never seen one before

31. cassie says:

I live in north-central Illinois and we have started seeing these white-tailed squirrels as well. I’m not sure if it a new species or a mutation.

32. I am glad that I found this site, I got precisely the right information that I
    was searching for!

33. Karen says:

I live in Eau Claire, Michigan, and I spotted a white tail this morning.I couldn`t believe my eyes! How very beautiful and unique. This afternoon I spotted two more playing at the bottom of the tree right out my back door, what a treat. Three beautiful creatures of God.

34. Brenda Wright says:

I live in westland, michigan. Saw my first white tail squirrel yesterday. Thought I was seeing a freak but I guess they are everywhere. It was really a great sighting!

35. Anonymous says:

I just seen my first ever white tailed squirrel . Simply amazing . I didn’t know there was such a thing . Pretty cool . Greenville , Michigan

36. Hannah wright says:

We have actually noticed two or three white tailed squirrels in our tree that have brown bodies. The look around the same age so we believe there’re from the same liter

37. James Deno says:

We live in Northwestern Indiana, about 70 miles south of the southern most tip of Lake Michigan.
    3 weeks ago we observed 3 young whitetailed redish colored squirrels eating corn in our back yard. I think they are of the same family. Still seeing them every day eating ear corn we put out for that reason. Seeing them is a first for us.

38. Anonymous says:

We have a white tailed squirrel eating from our bird feeder in Orange City, Ia. Beautiful!!

39. Hi! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give
    a quick shout out and say I truly enjoy reading through your blog posts.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the
    same subjects? Thank you!

40. annonymous says: