White-tailed Squirrel

There are a lot of squirrels living in the trees behind my house, and there is nothing unusual about that. However, within the last few months, I noticed a white-tailed squirrel in the trees and on the ground, and that is unusual. I had never seen a white-tailed squirrel here, or anywhere. This evening, just before dusk, I had my camera out with the speedlight (flash) attached, when I spotted the white-tailed squirrel, and so I grabbed the camera, adjusted its the settings, and captured an image of the squirrel across the yard (above image).

Then, as I was watching the squirrel, it climbed a tree and entered a hole in the tree that I had never noticed before. The tree is at least 75 feet away. In the above image, I photographed the squirrel’s white tail as it entered the hole in the tree, where it apparently lives.

After entering the hole in the tree, the squirrel turned and stared at me while I continued to photograph it.

When no longer interested in me, the squirrel turned and disappeared into the tree, although I was able to get a photo (below) of its white tail in the tree before it totally disappeared. The light from my speedlight made it appear as though the squirrel had its lights on in its nest for the evening, but actually the speedlight lit up the bare wood in the back of the hole.

I am excited to have been able to photograph this unusual squirrel, and also excited to see that its nest is directly facing my house. I will be watching it closely this summer, because if the squirrel is a female, it may raise its young in that nest, and I will be able to photograph them.

In case you are new to my blog, in December, I spent several days in Carrabelle, Florida, where I saw and photographed totally white squirrels, which are very rare except for a few locations around the country. I posted an article about Carrabelle, which contains photos of the white squirrels. The link to it is:  http://stevetabone.wordpress.com/2011/12/18/carrabelle-in-the-panhandle-of-florida/

About Stephen L Tabone

Executive Consultant and Nature Photographer
This entry was posted in Nature, Wildlife and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to White-tailed Squirrel

1. Great pictures and interesting. I have seen squirrels with while legs, ear, sometime a white streak on their fur but never a white tailed one. Thank you for sharing. :)

2. Thank you for “capturing” this squirrel for us armchair naturalists! Love the photo of the squirrel checking you out … the texture of the trunk, the composition of the photo and its overall greyness are simply wonderful!

3. clover58 says:

Having a white tail might make is strange! I don’t think I ever heard of white squirrels unless they were albino. Locally, we have grays, reds, and occasionally black.

4. Mac says:

Nothing escapes a professional photographer who possesses an uncanny eye for uniqueness

5. I live in a small town in Central Illinois. We have just noticed a white-tailed squirrel in our neighborhood. At first, the only thing I saw was this furry white thing bouncing around and then I realized the furry white thing was attached to a grey squirrel. He does stand out in a crowd. I googled white-tailed squirrels and found your blog. These cute little guys must be spreading out across the U.S. I would love to know more about them – thanks for your pictures and for sharing your story with us.

KJ

6. DH says:

We just saw two white-tailed squirrels for the first time in our yard today (Michigan). They are beautiful.

7. Adoptagrey says:

I just saw a white-tailed squirrel in the tree outside my kitchen window on Bay Village, Ohio. He’s the only squirrel allowed to eat from my birdfeeder!

8. Anonymous says:

I live in Central Indiana and just noticed a white tail squirrel this summer.

9. Anonymous says:

just noticed a white tailed squirrel in pendleton, indiana

10. Anonymous says:

Two in our yard in Orange Township, Noble County, Indiana

11. Anonymous says:

I saw a white-tailed squirrel today in Omaha, Nebraska

12. Anonymous says:

I live in a small town in morenci mi and I saw a white tailed squirrel in my back yard at first I thought it had a whole corn cob in its mouth then I realized it was its tail. I never seen one before

13. Nancy Kropp says:

I live in the North East part of Indianapolis and saw one in my backyard this morning. I was amazed at how beautiful they are. He was eating bird seed that had fallen from the feeder. I will be watching tomorrow for him to return. I have large trees so hopefully there is a nest of them.

14. Anonymous says:

We have four white tailed squirrels in our neighbors tree in Marshalltown, IA. We had never seen them before, usually we don’t even have grey squirrels. Wish I could find more info on them.

15. Rick Z. says:

Ditto…we saw our first white-tail squirrel several times yesterday…my wife thinks it was a red-squirrel, and it had an all-white tail ! On the Maumee River near Grand Rapids Ohio.
    Rick Z. July 28, 2013

16. Heather says:

I’m outside lansing MI and have 2 small white tails in my backyard, maybe more, but I only saw two chasing each other around. I’ve never seen anything like it so came straight to google and found this blog. Great pics!!