Barred Owl on Lake Montclair

Barred-Owl-on-Lake-Montclair

Some days are better than others. Today was one of the better days, because it ended with a Barred Owl flying into one of the trees behind my house. The weather today was unseasonably warm, and I was on my upper deck watching a gorgeous sunset when the Barred Owl flew into the tree. I quickly went inside and grabbed one of my cameras and took a couple of shots, but the owl was only a silhouette against the early evening sky. I quickly went back into the house and mounted a speedlight (flash) on to the camera and returned to the deck. Fortunately, the owl was still in the tree. I managed to get off a few shots before it flew away. What a great way to end a weekend!

The above image was taken with a Nikon D810, Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, 80-400mm lens at 200mm, f/5.3, 1/500 sec and ISO 800.

About Stephen L Tabone

Executive Consultant and Nature Photographer
This entry was posted in Lake Montclair, Nature, Wildlife and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Barred Owl on Lake Montclair

1. maryann venezia says:

Another great photo!

Maryann

2. Brenda Springfield says:

Wonderful photo of the Barred Owl, Stephen! Let me know ahead of time the next time you will be in town. It would be fun to go out shooting together. Brenda

3. Latiera S. says:

Very nice photo!!

4. Roger Jaimeyfield says:

I’m not a photographer. However,if I were, I would be jumping up and down with excitement.To have captured a magnificent bird of prey with such clarity and peaceful countenance is a rare occasion.can I buy it?

5. Such an amazing visitor that you had.

6. Mac says:

I backed off. Thought the bird was about to take off in my direction. Dad

7. Mac says: